What are the primary assumptions each author makes?
Assignment 1 – 300 word
There are very different views of what types of evidence are most credible in evaluating the effectiveness of psychological treatment research. In this discussion you will analyze basic applied psychological research as well as evaluate how researchers applied a research process in the development of specific components. To begin, read the following articles (which can be accessed through the ProQuest database in the Ashford University Library):
- “Evidence-Based Practice in Psychology: Implications for Research and Research Training”
- “Practice-Based Evidence: Back to the Future”
- “Psychological Treatments: Putting Evidence into Practice and Practice into Evidence”
After reading the articles listed above, select two of them. Analyze the basic applied research within each of your two selected articles by answering the following questions:
- What is the main point-of-view in each article?
- What are the primary assumptions each author makes?
- Which author are you inclined to agree with? Support your choice with scholarly reasoning and cite your evidence.
You are required to include one peer-reviewed source that was published within the last five years to support your perspective. You may not use any of the sources that were assigned for this course.
Assignment 2 – 300 words
In this discussion you will be evaluating contributions of psychological research in the applied context of the DSM-5. To begin, read the DSM-5 section entitled, “Conditions for Further Study” (Section III of the DSM-5) and the article titled “An Overview of the DSM-5: Changes,Controversy, and Implications for Psychiatric Nursing.”
Then, address the following points in your post:
- What are three controversies discussed in the Halter, Rolin-Kenny, & Dzurec (2013) article? Give your opinions about these controversies. From your point view, are these legitimate concerns? Why or why not?
- Name a disorder identified as requiring significantly more research and study from the DSM-5 section entitled, “Conditions for Further Study” (Section III of the DSM-5). Construct a research question that is pertinent to the disorder you selected.
- Briefly outline a research method that could be used to investigate the disorder based on one of the research methods presented in your textbook.