week2 assignment 1
Vulnerable Population Summary and Proposed Program
The first of your two written assignments for the course will provide a beginning framework that you will utilize in the development of your
Final Project: a proposal for a community-based program in your area. For this first written assignment, you will select one of the vulnerable groups identified in the text that will serve as your target population of interest throughout the duration of your next written assignment and Final Project.
Select one among the following groups from Chapter 1:
- Vulnerable mothers and children
- Abused individuals
- Chronically ill and disabled people
- People diagnosed with HIV/AIDS
- People diagnosed with mental conditions
- Suicide- and homicide-liable people
- People affected by alcohol and substance abuse
- Indigent and homeless people
- Immigrants and refugees
- Groups for special consideration (you may propose a different vulnerable population at the consent of the instructor)
Once you have selected a group of interest, write a three page paper that covers the following:
- Discuss the impact that at least two of the factors below have on the vulnerability of your chosen group:
- Analyze the intersection of social, political, and economic factors affecting vulnerability (must address all three factors).
- Draft the design of a new model program, not currently existent within your community. Provide a two- to- three paragraph statement that introduces your proposed community program. This section is tentative and might change as you conduct more research. At a minimum, however, items to address should include:
- An explanation of the issues and risk factors experienced by the selected population.
- An evaluation of the health needs of the group and a proposed continuum of care level (preventive, treatment, or long-term care) based on the group’s issues, risk factors, and needs. Justify the proposed level with supportive research/evidence.
- A description of one to two proposed services your program will include.
Your assignment should be a minimum of three pages in length (excluding title and reference pages), and should include a minimum of three scholarly sources cited according to APA guidelines as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.