This assignment has two parts. Use a standard format (e.g., MLA, APA).
Walmart are trying to implement an information technology which is Self-Driving Cars.
Search and read about what Walmart are trying to do and write about this technology that Walmart company are trying to implement and develop a business case for implementing the technology.
This should be written as a memo (about 4 – 5 pages) to Walmart upper management.
Be sure to include the following:
- A brief background on the company. What does it do, company size, where does it fit in the overall industry, financial situation, etc.
- What is the generic strategy (e.g, cost leader, differentiator, focus) the company is pursuing? Note, this real strategy might be very different than the strategy statement the company puts out.
- High level overview of the technology – what is it and how does it work.
- How well does the technology proposed align with corporate strategy?
- What are the high level costs and benefits (no need for detail here, but are we talking thousands, millions, billions, etc.)?
- Based on what you have researched and written so far, make a recommendation as to whether the company should invest in the technology or not. Be sure to back up your recommendation.
Add to your existing business case by considering how ready your company is to make the changes required. (about 4 – 5 pages)
Some questions to consider include:
- Has the company successfully implemented similar projects in the past?
- Does the company have dedicated project managers and/or a project management office?
- How is change typically handled and received in your company?
- What was the outcome of past change initiatives?
- Has the company successfully implemented technologies of similar size and scope in the past?
Update your recommendation as to whether the company should invest in the technology based on its readiness.
Regardless of your recommendation, assume the company is going to invest in the technology, make some concrete recommendations as to how the company can best implement the proposed technology.