“Please read chapter 1 in the Dudek nutrition text and respond to the questions in the Case Study on page 14. Please write the answers in full sentence/paragraph form and upload your homework in the assignment tab. This assignment is worth 2 points.
After reading the Case Study below, answer/ calculate / evaluate the following questions related to Stevenâ€™s weight. Please do this in full sentences and discussion where indicated.
Steven is a 44 year old male who is 5 ft 11 inches tall and weighs 182 pounds. Over the last month, he has lost approximately 10 pounds, which he blames on loss of appetite and fatigue. When he went to his family doctor with flu-like symptoms, a blood test revealed a very high white blood cell count, low platelet count, and low hemoglobin. The doctor told him to proceed to the hospital for admission to rule out acute leukemia. Further laboratory tests are pending. Admitting orders include a regular diet. Steven does not have a significant medical history. He is married, has three children, and enjoys a successful career.
Calculate and evaluate Stevenâ€™s weight according to the following standards:
- Percentage weight change
- Based on Stevenâ€™s weight and weight change, is he at nutritional risk?
- Does Stevenâ€™s possible diagnosis place him at nutritional risk?
- What other criteria would help determine his level of risk?
- Calculate his estimated calorie requirements. Calculate his Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein.
- If he is treated for leukemia, his protein need may increase to approximately 1.2 g protein/kg. How much would he then require?
- The hospitalâ€™s diet manual says that, on average, a regular diet provides 24oo calories and 90 g of protein. Is this diet adequate to meet his needs?”
I will be providing the chapter