HLT-362V Exercise 10
What demographic variables were measured at the nominal level of measurement in the study? Provide a rationale for your answer.
2. What statistics were calculated to describe body mass index (BMI) in this study? Were these appropriate? Provide a rationale for your answer.
3. Were the distributions of scores for BMI similar for the intervention and control groups? Provide a rationale for your answer.
4. Was there a significant difference in BMI between the intervention and control groups? Provide a rationale for your answer.
5. Based on the sample size of N = 41, what frequency and percentage of the sample smoked? What frequency and percentage of the sample were non-drinkers (alcohol)? Show your calculations and round to the nearest whole percent.
6. What measurement method was used to measure the bone mineral density (BMD) for the study participants? Discuss the quality of this measurement method and document your response.
7. What statistic was calculated to determine differences between the intervention and control groups for the lumbar and femur neck BMDs? Were the groups significantly different for BMDs?
8. The researchers stated that there were no significant differences in the baseline characteristics of the intervention and control groups (see ). Are these groups heterogeneous or homogeneous at the beginning of the study? Why is this important in testing the effectiveness of the therapeutic lifestyle modification (TLM) program?
9. , p. 296) stated that “the adherence rate to the TLM program was 99.6%.” Discuss the importance of intervention adherence, and document your response.
10. Was the sample for this study adequately described? Provide a rationale for your answer