Needing help with this class! Rubrics are in the files attached. I would greatly appreciate mastery level! Thank you so much!
I’ve also attached my results from the online DISC assessment.
Part 1 – DISC Assessment
This competency will allow you to demonstrate your ability to discover leadership skills as an individual, group, or at the organizational level and identify these skills through self-practice.
For today’s workforce, collaborating with colleagues is essential for success. Your organization wants you to take a DISC assessment to learn more about your personality style. DISC is a personality assessment tool that focuses on behavioral characteristics that are grouped together into four personality styles. People with similar personality scores tend to exhibit specific behavioral characteristics common to that profile. Each of these personality styles has unique preferences for communication, behavior, and leadership. Being aware of your preferences allows you to better understand how you might react in certain situations. Being aware of others’ preferences allows you to better communicate with those personality styles.
- Conduct an Internet search for a free DISC personality test; take the test and save your results, including the web site’s URL.
- You will use these results for reflecting on how your personality can affect your decisions in a professional environment.
- In 3-4 pages summarize the feedback you receive.
- Define the four personality types and how they relate to you.
- How will you use the understanding of different personality styles to better communicate and lead?
- How could your personality affect your decisions in a professional environment?
Part 2 – How Do I Become the Leader I Want to Be?
This competency will allow you to analyze leadership styles and behaviors and apply them to a personal and/or professional life experiences.
Leadership is either formal or informal, and it is important to discover which one is a better fit for you as you grow in your career. Your company leaders are asking you to identify a specific leadership role that you would someday like to fill (e.g., Supervisor, Manager, Vice President, Individual Contributor, etc.). Once you have determined the type of leader you would like to become, create an action plan for your career to achieve such a position.
- In order to successfully determine the type of leader you want to become, answer the following questions in two pages:
- Would you describe yourself as a formal or informal leader (and explain traits you possess that would make you a successful formal or informal leader)?
- What are some skills you should develop and tactics you should use to be an effective leader?
- Create a one-page action plan that addresses the following questions:
- Who will you work with as a mentor (just identify the position of a potential mentor) to help you grow into this leadership position and why?
- What steps will you take to become the type of leader you want to be in your career and how will you achieve your action plan?
Part 3 – The Best Leader
This competency will allow you to explain and compare various leadership theories.
The company you work for has asked you to prepare a document that categorizes leadership theories. Assume this document will serve as a reference to quickly identify and explain the differences between leadership theories. This document will have two parts:
- Prepare a table in Word or Excel identifying at least five Leadership Theories (e.g., Situational Leadership Theory) in the first cell of each row. The following columns should offer 5-6 distinctions (variables/traits) between the varying theories. For example, advantages and disadvantages of each theory could be two of the columns.
Hint: For your Word document or Excel sheet, Rows are horizontal flow (left to right) and Columns are vertical (up and down). In the first cell in each row, list the Leadership Theory (identify at least five). The other 5-6 columns are your choice. Anything you can compare or contrast between the theories will work.
- In a two-page report, describe the best leader you have worked for by answering the following questions:
- What theories of leadership do you think were most important to this leader and how did this leader make effective use of them?
- As a leader, which theories would you two have in common, and which theories would you not use and why?
Part 4 – Creating an Engagement Survey
This competency will allow you to examine the challenges of leading change and identify a real-life situation in which change was successfully implemented.
Your boss needs you to develop an employee engagement survey that consists of 10 questions that will be administered through email to all employees. She hands you the following requirements that must be addressed within the survey:
- Organizational commitment type.
- Monetary commitment – motivated by money
- Continual commitment – robotic employee
- Affective commitment – motivated by passion
- Leader-member exchange to the supervisor.
- What is the relationship between the employee and the supervisor?
- Leader-member exchange to the organization.
- What is the employee’s relationship to the operation?
- Perception of support from the supervisor.
- Perception of support from the organization.
Your job is to submit to your boss a questionnaire that contains 10 specific questions that integrate the defined requirements above along with any other necessary information you believe would add value to understanding the employees’ thoughts and feelings about the organization.
Additionally, you need to write a two to three-page summary of why you chose these 10 questions. Include an introduction demonstrating an understanding of organizational commitment, leader-member exchange, and perception of support. Within the body of the summary, provide comparative research with other possible engagement surveys. Lastly, within the conclusion, explain why your survey will add operational value to the organization.
Part 5 – Creating a Bibliography
This competency will allow you to recognize and summarize an example of an effective team and synthesize the elements of a successful leader.
Your boss has asked you to represent the organization by participating in an industry research panel on leadership. There is an expectation that all participants submit required work before the initial meeting.
Your job is to create an annotated bibliography that includes the titles, authors, publishers, copyright dates, and short summaries of ten total research articles. Each summary should be a minimum of one hundred words. Five of the articles should focus on team efficiencies and five on successful leadership. Articles should be no more than 6 years old. Along with the bibliography, you should submit an introductory paragraph describing the process you used for selecting the articles and the criteria you used in your search process.
Use proper APA formatting for the annotated bibliography. The following link is a great resource for writing annotated bibliographies: Annotated Bibliographies, Abstracts, & Appendices
Part 6 – PowerPoint Presentation on Leadership
This competency will allow you to create a plan to develop as a leader and apply this to your personal and/or professional life.
Your boss has asked you to speak at the quarterly board meeting about your research into leadership.
Your task is to develop a PowerPoint presentation that showcases leadership skills and offers professional practice examples. The expectation is eight slides of content (does not include title and reference slides), each containing DETAILED notes with background on theories of leadership and discussion points. The slides should focus on the importance of leadership training and development, as well as include details about your own plan to develop as a leader.
NOTE: Since you are not required to record this presentation, however, I expect your notes to be very detailed, as if you were presenting this presentation to the board. YOU WILL FAIL THIS ASSIGNMENT WITHOUT DETAILED NOTES.
Part 7 – Effective Leadership
This competency will allow you to demonstrate what you have learned about effective leadership by creating a plan to successfully run a small business.
You have become comfortable with contemporary leadership competencies and feel it is time to open your own small business. As a future business owner, you know that all organizations must be well managed and that effective leadership is at the core of ensuring that a business runs smoothly. Reflect on the following questions and write a 6-7 page report to help you solidify your thinking and describe your plan for running a small business.
- Refer to the DISC behavioral characteristics you identified for yourself in module 01. How will you use two of these characteristics (i.e., values, culture, mission, and vision) to shape your small business?
- Employees are a business’s greatest asset. Refer to the best leader traits/skills/tactics you identified in module 02. How will you mentor the informal and formal leaders that you hire?
- Identify the leader theory from module 03 that fits you best. How can this leader theory help you align business goals, customer expectations, and employee objectives?
- Refer to the challenges to leading change that you selected in module 04. Identify two of these challenges. How will you address these challenges to minimize risk for your new business?
- Utilizing the facilitative leadership skills you studied in module 05, discuss the three facilitative leadership skills that you think are the most important for your business. How will you incorporate what you learned about facultative leadership into your business so that employees can successfully run meetings and projects?
- Refer to the leadership skills you presented in module 06, as well as the other concepts you’ve studied in the course (e.g., leader traits, leadership theory, and facilitative leadership skills). How will you use these to ensure effective leadership in your small business?