Instructions were given in class on how to write the paper/essay on ONE component of the US economy.
Please know that to get a good grade on this paper, following directions is essential.
- 2 to 3 pages (if it is 2 pages, it needs to be two full pages, so the title must be small or on a cover page. No more than 3 pages long). DOUBLE spaced.
- Title and name. Please put your name on all pages.
- Bibliography to INCLUDE your textbook and at least two other sources you used.
- Citations for all numbers, quotes, graphs, examples and ideas that aren’t your own. It is expected that you will have several citations (it’s not possible to write a solid college research paper without citing anything).
- Standard fonts and normal margin sizes please!
- Discuss one narrow component of the US economy (some examples are: reserve ratios, built in stabilizers, crowding out effect, cost push inflation, multiplier effect, etc.). Do NOT pick a topic that is too broad. You only have 2-3 pages to write and the paper will be too shallow if your topic is overly broad.
- Order your paper logically with an introduction, body and conclusion.
- This is not an opinion paper or a persuasive essay. Nor is it a history or sociology paper. It is an explanatory-research piece on ECONOMICS. Imagine you are telling someone who is knowledgeable about basic economics how this aspect of the US economy works.
- Use only reputable sites. Do not use politically motivated or opinion sites. Try to use sites that are vetted (use something other than Wikipedia).
- Stay factual and use economic terms! Points will be deducted for not using economic terms.
- Use examples that are real, not made up. Cite these.
- Graphs/charts are not only welcomed, but encouraged. However, they should not be so large that they take up more than a 1/3 of a page. Cite these.
- Do not plagiarize. I will run your paper through Safe Assign.
- Proofread, proofread, proofread. Having someone help you edit your paper for grammar and spelling mistakes, is not cheating.