Research authoritative articles using the news for a recent case of antitrust investigation. Based on the cases that are provided in the attachment, answer the following questions.
- Why was/were the firm(s) investigated for antitrust behavior?
- Identify some of the costs (pecuniary and nonpecuniary) associated with the antitrust behavior (firms having power in the market). Additionally, note the specific antitrust act (Sherman Act, Clayton Act, etc.) under which the violation was investigated.
- Given your research and findings, are monopolies and oligopolies (firms demonstrating power) always bad for society? Be sure to provide real world examples of where this may be the case to strengthen your position.
- Provide at least one example of a case where having a monopoly or oligopoly may actually benefit the society.
Based on your findings to the questions listed above, write a report with a minimum of 300 words in essay format in APA style using correct economic terms covered in the discussions. If you ONLY write 300 words, you probably won’t be able to fully answer the questions. You must use at minimum at least one article from the selection I provided. Note. Cite all your references in APA format. You can use the Citations & Bibliography function of Microsoft Word, which is found under the References tab.
Key concepts to include in your paper include the following.
- Monopoly Market Structure
- Oligopoly Market Structure
- Barriers to Entry Into the Market
- Natural Monopoly
- Government Monopoly
- Downward Sloping Demand Curve
- Economies of Scale
- Price Fixing
- Monopoly Pricing
- Price Maker
- Market Power
- Economic Profits
- Imperfect Competition
- Rent-Seeking Behavior
- Deadweight Loss to Society
- Marginal Cost
- Marginal Revenue