Investigating Oceanography (2nd and 3rd ed). Ch. 1: sec. 1.4-1.6 only and Ch. 4
- Describe the unique structure of the water molecule
*Help to create and control climate and weatherâ—Influence the formation and modification of the land and seafloorâ—Enable essential chemicals to be transported to and within living organismsâ—Control many features of our physical environment, such as rain, snow, and the waves on oceans and lakesâ—Underlie the functioning of many aspects of modern society, ranging from cooling systems for automobile engines
- Explain how the water molecule gives water its unique physical and chemical properties
- Distinguish the difference between temperature and heat
- Describe how the density of water changes with temperature:
- going from solid to liquid to gas
- from 0oC to 100oC
- Define specific heat capacity
- Explain how waterâ€™s specific heat capacity might affect Earthâ€™s average temperature
The following questions address a few of the fundamental Properties of Water on Earth. Answer the questions in your own words.
- Summarize a path that a water molecule would take to complete a journey through the water cycle. a) Begin in the ocean and how water moves through the ocean, atmosphere, lakes/rivers, and precipitation b)List important phase transitions and methods of transportation.
- Describe the shape of a water molecule and explain why it is considered to be a â€˜polarâ€™ molecule.
- Explain the difference between heat and temperature.
- Explain the difference between latent heat and sensible heat.
- Given 100 calories of heat energy, explain whether water or sand would experience a larger temperature change.
- Discuss whether you think the Earth would be warmer or cooler if liquid water did NOT cover Earthâ€™s surface. Explain your answer.