This is discussion post. PLEASE USE the textbook below for reference and at least one SCHOLARLY PEER-Review.
Choose one of the two attached case studies, and reflect on the vulnerable population that the case study portrays.
· Identify which case you chose.
· Discuss several risk factors that may impact health outcomes for the vulnerable population in your case study.
· Identify one agency in your community that can assist this vulnerable group and assess this agency in terms of the 4 A’s (see the lesson). Discuss each of the A’s separately to assess accessibility, acceptability, affordability, and availability for this population.
The 4 A’s
· Does the client have confidence that the referral source will be able to help?
· What were the past experiences, either positive or negative?
· Does the referral fit with the client’s values?
· Does it conflict with higher priorities? Consider Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.
· Is there fear of the unfamiliar or of having to admit that help is needed?
· What is the cost to the client other than money-time, loss of work, and so forth?
Consider things in the client’s situation that may limit access to the referral agency or hinder the client’s ability to follow through on the referral.
Transportation, language barriers, hours of operation, and conflicts with client’s work or school schedule.
Is there a referral source that meets the client’s need?
This goes back to community assessment and being aware of the resources that are available in the community. Part of the role of a CHN is to identify gaps between client needs and existing resources (assessment) and to work to fill in any identified gaps (assurance).
· What fees does the referral agency charge?
· Is there a sliding fee scale?
· Will the agency accept third-party payment?
Nies, M. A., & McEwen, M. (2015). Community/Public health nursing: Promoting the health of populations (6th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Saunders/Elsevier.